Saturday, March 14, 2015

The Soul Can Split the Sky

By Dan Morrill

 I believe in clarity. Not a rigid, unchanging clarity. Seeing things and understanding my emotions, is important to me. Once this is done, I’m free to enjoy my life. Right now, I’m angry, confused, hurt and uncertain. But mostly, I just feel empty. I blame myself. I’ve never been any good at blaming others, a failure of which I’m not ashamed. Another relationship had turned sour. This time I had really cared, “crossed over” as I liked to call it. There is no reason to it, but then I’m very aware that emotions are not rational, that loving another takes a leap of faith, a trust in the unknown.
Everyone should have a friend like Jenny…open and trusting. I go to her when I can’t trust myself and need direction. She tells me what I don’t want to hear but should, and gets me to do what I need to do but won’t. That’s why I now stand at the ranger station at the entrance to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, applying for a seven day back country permit.

I fill in the form and hand it to the ranger who reads it and eyes me with a touch of intrigue and amused concern. “Now Dan, you’re sure you know what you’re doing?” he asks. We don’t get many in here traveling alone this time of year.  Fact is we don’t get many paddling at all this time of year. You got plenty of food and warm clothes?” I assured him that I was well prepared and that I had a cell phone I could take with me to call if I got into trouble. I knew there was no way I was taking that phone with me. One learns to say what authorities want to hear. A habit that I need to get away from.

And so I parked my car in the allowed space, checked my gear carefully again and took off into the wilderness that lay in front of me. The pack was heavy but I was so hungry to get away, that I handled the difficulty of portaging across rough terrain with relative ease. Determined, I even relished the burden. I was alive and the pain and physical strain were far better than that awful empty “nothing” feeling of losing love. I was shedding a world of news, TV, the internet and mail where everything seemed to be happening all the time. Constant stimulation and activity ever available were being left behind. Heavy with pack, I felt oddly lighter. Only woods and water lay ahead. An abstract geometry of geographical simplicity would be my home for a week. I was not being exiled. This was not being forced upon me. In a deeply instinctive way, it felt right. I was here by choice and it empowered me. I had had to overcome myself. I love you Alice Walker and your “honor the difficult.”
Out here, all was empty, harmonizing with my emotional evisceration. “Go into it,” Krishnamurti said. It’s the only way to learn to own your emotions. Entering this wilderness, I thought, I will do this thing, it’s only for a week, and it’s much more real than therapy. The lush landscape seemed forbidding, but my stay would be short. I must give wisdom a chance. That old native saying, “If you would find wisdom, you must go out into the wilderness, far from men.” Some say God is to be found out here. I began to believe that.

Absence can be a blessing. No noise, no congestion, no impingement here. All urgency was gone and the redoubtable wild was becoming comfortable. It was wrapping around me like a blanket. I felt strangely accepted almost appointed, as if I peacefully reigned over the woods and water, was guardian of the distant shore. Is this why, I wondered, the Australian aborigines say “We live to feel,” and their feelings are like a lived prayer? I had thought about this when I first read it. I was feeling lighter, fuller, freer, liberated. Could I stand liberation for an entire week out here all alone? I laughed. My friends would be driven quite mad here by weeks end.
For seven days, I fell into a near routine, distilling life down to bare essentials, shelter, food, water, toilet, freedom, just being alive and contemplating the miracle of it.  Always rising at dawn to catch the shimmering and subtle shift of light on forests and still water. It felt intimate and I got to know the sun again. There were moments of boredom, of hiking to nowhere   wondering why when I returned. Snow came and dusted the pines and transformed the landscape, so ethereal, so beautiful and unseen by others that tears came to my eyes. I had wild dreams at night which I would record in the morning as I drank coffee. I gave each day a totem word, honoring Thoreau’s “Simplify, simplify, simplify!”

Day One: OWL…For the soft sound of the large bird that flew so close to me the first night as I gazed into the great night sky, so palpably near. Perhaps Minerva Owl, bird of wisdom, brushing close.
Day Two: FOREST…The lone and lush forest that reaches far away and seemed to move as the light changed.

Day Three:  WATER…I could feel my mind begin to flow into everything and rise and become light with the stars, the sun, the moon, the spirit of the lakes.
Day Four: DREAM… I began to feel surreal, outside of my body, made of the stuff of dreams. My night dreams becoming more imaginative and complicated than I had ever thought possible. I felt as if I were a dream within a dream that was, perhaps, being dreamed. All was somehow gossamer, translucent.

Day Five: GRATITUDE…For just being alive and able to be here. To begin to see my own absurdity.
Day Six: SKY...So all encompassing, so real, so like a changing artist’s canvas going from translucent blue to black and catching all the cloudiness and color most brilliantly and ephemerally expressed at dawn and dusk. The sky so intimate and eternal. As Millay had written, “The soul can split the sky in two and let the face of God shine through.”

Day Seven: HOWL…For my last day…the sentinel sound. Was it coyote, wolf or some mythical beast? I couldn’t know. It was a grand ululation, an all vowel sound, a lamentation. AEEIIOOOUUUUUUUuuu…that marked so perfectly, perfectly as perceived, my final night as if some spirit animal were asking me to stay. Was sorry to have me leave. The voice of the mystery of it all…with feeling.

Today when I am melancholy and feel like howling, I think of that singular cry coming out of the deep silence of the night, I smile and feel relief…less alone.
 
                                                                        




Books available from Steve Stepan:

Sundown at Dawn

Ebook:
http://www.amazon.com/Sundown-at-Dawn-ebook/dp/B00CNV3CNG/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_1_EDD6

HardCopy:
http://www.thebookpatch.com/BookStoreResults?search=sundown%20at%20dawn&ddl=any




 

No comments:

Post a Comment