Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Learned Man

by Dan Morrill



 
 
I studied art, explored all of science,
Took everything apart, then put it back together again.
The future I often anticipated,
Went back to when all was less complicated.

I parsed how all is created;
Metaphysical, psychological, historical,
Epistemological, empirical, rhetorical.

In consciousness, mind, time and change,
I wanted to know all life…its full range.

I became a rabid ratiocinating predator
Gobbling up facts, throwing open every door
To all we call life’s mysteries.

For I knew well that only knowledge frees,
And only knowing everything would please,
As I plotted, studied, absorbed, multi-dimensionally,
Sought to learn from all who could teach me
Everything for which they give a university degree..

As others looked upon me admiringly
I was seen as omniscient, erudite, free.

But let us see it as it is…relatively
For others missed what was the actual me
That I could see, with self-critical clarity…
That there was yet so much I had to learn;
And others were also unable to discern
That because of my pride and vanity,
I had now become my own worst enemy.
How we as a species have endured;
For our history shows we’re rather absurd.

Ah, but the radiance of eternity is everywhere;
For what matters most in life, you can’t prepare.
Our life is a gift…and in the universe so rare,
Only love matters. This alone, I now declare.

No comments:

Post a Comment